I've added a new page to the top of my blog where you can find my goals for the year 2013.
Throughout
the month of January, I will be looking at each goal specifically. I
will let you know why I want to accomplish this goal and how I plan to
do it.
I will also be updating throughout the year on how I'm doing.
Goal 2: Cut down on excess in my life. I will be reading Seven: An Experimental Mutiny Against Excess by Jen Hatmaker and I would like to participate as I read.

Find it on Amazon
I'm not sure where I first heard about this book. I became more interested in in when my bloggy friend Christie from Satisfaction Through Christ was reading through it and posting about it.
What is this book?
According to the book description: 7 is the true story of how Jen (along with her husband and her children to varying degrees) took seven months, identified seven areas of excess, and made seven simple choices to fight back against the modern-day diseases of greed, materialism, and overindulgence.
The 7 areas identified are: Food. Clothes. Spending. Media. Possessions. Waste. Stress.
Why do I want to read this book?
I live a life of excess and materialism. It's the American way. God really opened my eyes in 2012 to how blessed I am. So many people around the world live on SO much less than me. Not only do they have less material goods than me, they have way more JOY than I do.
I challenged myself last year to give more and I want that pattern to continue in 2013. I want to turn it up a notch, though, and also challenge myself to be less selfish and less materialistic and get rid of so much of the excess in my life.
What am I going to do?
I would like to participate (to a certain degree) as I read through the book. I'm not sure yet if I want to read it all at once and then set up a plan of how to work on these areas in my life over a 7 month period or if I want to read a chapter a month while working on that area.
I'm not going to lie, I know this is going to be difficult. I know I probably won't follow thing exactly the way the author's family did. That's not the point. The point for me is to begin to cut back on the excess and to change my mindset.
I'll let you know how it goes.

Find it on Amazon
I'm not sure where I first heard about this book. I became more interested in in when my bloggy friend Christie from Satisfaction Through Christ was reading through it and posting about it.
What is this book?
According to the book description: 7 is the true story of how Jen (along with her husband and her children to varying degrees) took seven months, identified seven areas of excess, and made seven simple choices to fight back against the modern-day diseases of greed, materialism, and overindulgence.
The 7 areas identified are: Food. Clothes. Spending. Media. Possessions. Waste. Stress.
Why do I want to read this book?
I live a life of excess and materialism. It's the American way. God really opened my eyes in 2012 to how blessed I am. So many people around the world live on SO much less than me. Not only do they have less material goods than me, they have way more JOY than I do.
I challenged myself last year to give more and I want that pattern to continue in 2013. I want to turn it up a notch, though, and also challenge myself to be less selfish and less materialistic and get rid of so much of the excess in my life.
What am I going to do?
I would like to participate (to a certain degree) as I read through the book. I'm not sure yet if I want to read it all at once and then set up a plan of how to work on these areas in my life over a 7 month period or if I want to read a chapter a month while working on that area.
I'm not going to lie, I know this is going to be difficult. I know I probably won't follow thing exactly the way the author's family did. That's not the point. The point for me is to begin to cut back on the excess and to change my mindset.
I'll let you know how it goes.
3 comments:
This book looks really interesting, I am eager to hear your thoughts on it. I need some cutting back in my life too!
This seems interesting, I've never heard of this book but I agree is amazing how much extra 'stuff' we have. We are hoping to purchase a home soon and before we move I want to evaluate everything we have and not take anything we don't need to clutter up our home.
It's hard to let go of the "good" for the "best". What a great goal!
Post a Comment