Happy Tuesday! It's time to link up once again for Tuesday Topics.
5 Thing to do in My Hometown
Well, in case you didn't gather from the name of my blog- I'm from a small town. So, sit back, relax, and read about the wonderful things to do in small town, Alabama.
1. Homecoming
The Homecoming football game in my town is a big deal. We celebrate it the whole week. Throughout the week, the high school student council sells spirit gear to students in the elementary, middle, and high schools. Also, throughout the week, students enjoy dressing up along with each day's theme. (We've had such fun themes as "Blast from the Past," "Camo Day," "College Football Team Day," and "Tacky Day." Friday's theme is always "Spirit Day.") High school students get to work on putting together a float each night leading up to Friday's parade. (Sadly, they've moved the parade to Thursday now, but it has been on Friday for years so that's the way I'll always think of it.) The parade was always held on Friday afternoon. High school dismissed early (after the Homecoming Pep Rally), middle and elementary students could sit along the route and watch although many were already checked out to go watch the parade with their parents. This parade is a big deal. The whole town turns out. Then, the game is held that night where the winner of the float competition is announced. The Homecoming Court is also presented. After the game, there is a dance. However, most people simply went into the dance to have their picture made. Then, they go out to eat. I actually think things have changed a lot, but this is how I remember Homecoming.
2. Harvest Day
In the fall, many towns host days where vendors set up with their items to sell. Harvest Day is that day in my hometown. It's always held in October. There's a stage set up in from of City Hall where the high school band always opens the day's festivities. Then, throughout the day, other people will perform. There are food and arts & crafts vendors. The best funnel cakes can be bought from the HHS Band Boosters.
3. Shop Local
Small towns are usually good to have hidden shopping gems or great small businesses to support. Unfortunately, many businesses come and go because it's hard to have a small business in a small town. Here are 2 current stores in my hometown: The Old Ice House and Polka Dots and Lace. Also, here are some local home businesses: Dots and Curlz, Sew Fancy, and Lulabelle's Embroidery and Vinyl Cutting Service.
4. Church Events
In a town with very little to do, church events provided something for your social calendar. Whether it was a Disciple Now Weekend, Lock-in, fall festival, Vacation Bible School, Pumpkin Chase (like a scavenger hunt), banquet, Christmas caroling, choir cantata or a regular Sunday or Wednesday service, you could usually find a lot of people at church events. Not only am I from the Bible belt, but as I said, church events gave you something to do.
In a town with very little to do, church events provided something for your social calendar. Whether it was a Disciple Now Weekend, Lock-in, fall festival, Vacation Bible School, Pumpkin Chase (like a scavenger hunt), banquet, Christmas caroling, choir cantata or a regular Sunday or Wednesday service, you could usually find a lot of people at church events. Not only am I from the Bible belt, but as I said, church events gave you something to do.
This event is not technically in my hometown. It's held in the larger city about 15 minutes away. It's something people in the Wiregrass area look forward to all year. This is our state fair. The fair midway is set up, local clubs and organizations set up food booths, arts & craft vendors set up, there are exhibits to view, and concerts every night. There's even a Peanut Festival Parade and about a month before the event itself, there's a Peanut Festival pageant where Little Miss and Miss Peanut will be chosen to represent our area all year long.
{Sorry I have no pictures for any of this. One of the joys of living in an apartment is that anything that's not necessary gets packed away and stored.}
What's something unique you can do in your hometown?
{Sorry I have no pictures for any of this. One of the joys of living in an apartment is that anything that's not necessary gets packed away and stored.}
What's something unique you can do in your hometown?

9 comments:
I think it's fun to explore your home town...even if you've been living in it for years. I need to be better at that!
Hi! Just saw your comment on last months Wherever Wednesday. Yeah, I'd never heard about eating black eyed peas on New Year before coming to Texas. My mom's from up North (Massachusets, then Ohio) and she never mentioned it, so I'm guessing it is a Southern thing.
I hope you'll link up this post on the Wherever Wed going up this Wed. It'd be perfect! :-)
These things sound like fun! Especially the church activities.
i love the small town charm fun things to do like the harvest festival! That sounds like so much fun!
I love Alabama. I have friends and relatives there and I am close by( Nashville )! I love how small towns always have festivals. I didn't know bout the peanut festival...sounds fun!
Our small towns are so similar! I wrote about our little festivals, as well! A little secret.. I was Little Miss Yoakum ;)
I love the small town things to do, we have a lot of fun towns like that around St. Louis also.
Stopping by from Tuesday Topics!
such a cute blog :) I just came across it! Looking forward to following! - Angela everydayelsey.blogspot.com
I love small towns! They're so much fun when there are festivals or things like homecoming and everyone gets into it.
Visiting from Tuesday Topics!
www.mommacandy.com
Post a Comment