Blogging tips

Tuesday, August 13, 2013

My 10 Favorite Movies Based on Books


Last week, I shared 10 reasons I believe books are better than movies. That doesn't mean I don't like any movies that are based on books. Actually, some of my favorite movies are based on books.

Here are my 10 favorite movies based on books in no particular order:


*Note: I only included movies that I have actually read the book for also.*

1. Harry Potter- I know this is technically 8 movies, but it's getting counted as one. I had a love/hate relationship with the movies for a while. I finally came to terms with the fact that the movies will never compare to the books. Overall, they're good movies and can be enjoyed separately from the books.

2. Gone with the Wind- This is one of those where I saw the movie and already liked it before I read the book. The book has several things in it that we don't see in the movie. I really enjoy the fact that this movie doesn't have a happy ending.

3. How the Grinch Stole Christmas- I turn into such a child at Christmastime. I love this book and movie (both versions). Obviously, the real life version had to expand a lot to make a full movie, but I think they did a great job.

4. Holes- This is one of my favorite books to read to my 4th grade class every year. The movie almost follows the book perfectly.

5. Diary of a Wimpy Kid- Again, this is more than one movie. I started reading these books when I saw many of the 4th graders in the class where I was student teaching reading them. Kids love these books. They are good and definitely capture the essence of those awkward middle school years. I think they did a great job with the movies. My husband and I love to watch them.

6. The Help- This was one of those books I read because I heard about the movie. I figured I'd be disappointed with the movie like I usually am when I've already read the book, but I was surprised. I think they did a great job with the movie and did the book justice.

7. Fried Green Tomatoes- This is just a fun movie. I think it follows along pretty well with the book.

8. Tuck Everlasting- This is one of those rare movies that I actually like better than the book. The book is a children's book and the main character is a child. In the movie, the main character is a teenager and it's more of a love story. I love the theme of this movie.

9. The Notebook- Overall, this is not one of my favorite Nicholas Sparks' books. I enjoy the movie, though, and I think they did the book justice. 

10. A Walk to Remember- This is the only Nicholas Sparks' book I saw before the movie. I liked the way the book ended with uncertainty and room for your own interpretation, but I also enjoy the movie.

As I said, this list only contains movies of which I have also read the book. There are plenty of other great movies out there, but I just never read the book version. There are also some movies coming out soon that I've read the book version of and I'm excited to see what the movies will be like.

What do you think of these books and their movie version? What would you add to the list?

 Top Ten Tuesday at Many Little Blessings


5 comments:

Megan @ EphesiansWife said...

I was so excited How the Grinch Stole Christmas made the list. I love the book, movie and cartoon! I agree with you that The Notebook wasn't his greatest read. I think it is one of the few times I liked the movie better than the book.

Ashley said...

I agree with Megan ^. The Notebook was definitely better on film, to me, then the book. (Maybe Ryan Gosling had something to do with that) :-) And I totally agree about The Help. Great movie and great book!

Crystal from My Ramblings said...

A Walk to Remember was the only Nicholas Sparks movie that I saw before I read the book, too... I liked the movie better, but all of the others, the books are way better to me! I refused to see The Help until I read the book, and I read it in like 2 days and watched the movie immediately after, and they were both great!

fairiesmarket said...

I love the Grinch too! The book and both movies are an all time favorite. The Help is a book I recommend often. I think they did an exceptional job with the movie.

Rachel said...

I'm not really a Nicholas Spark book fan, though I'm more likely to watch the movies. I thought both The Help movie and the book were amazingly well done. Powerful!