Blogging tips

Thursday, August 1, 2013

#SCSBC13 Update: July

Happy August. If you're a reader of my blog, you know that I do a book review post on the first day of the new month of the books I read the previous month. Today's post is a little different because I'm  checking in for the Semi Charmed Summer Book Challenge instead. I hope you'll also come back tomorrow because I'll be reviewing all of these books. 



The Challenge:
5 points: Freebie! Read any book you'd like, as long as it follows the rules.
5:  Read a book that is less than 150 pages long.
10: Read a book with a color in the title.
10: Read a book that is not the first in its series. (And yes, it must be in a series.)
15: Read a book it seems everyone but you has read!
15: Read a banned book. (For consistency's sake, the book must be found on one of these lists. See the links in the first paragraph for book lists.)
20: Read a book written by a celebrity. This can be a memoir or a fiction book published by someone who was already famous by another means (e.g. James Franco).
20: Read a non-fiction book that is not a memoir. It can be pure non-fiction or narrative non-fiction.
20: Read a book that takes place in a state you have never been in. If you have been to all 50 states, choose a book that takes place in a country you have never been in. Also do the latter option if you are not American.
25: Read a book that is at least 400 pages long.
25: Read a book with a main character who shares your first name. If you have an uncommon name and really can't find a book, let me know and we can come up with an alternative.
30: Read a book written by an author who was born in the same year as you.
My plan:

5 point freebie: I'm leaving this one open since it can be whatever. This will probably be the last book I'll read once I've met all the other requirements.
5 point short book: Stop Asking Jesus Into Your Heart: How to Know for Sure You Are Saved by J.D. Greear- Completed 7/13/13
10 point color: The Color Purple by Alice Walker
10 point series: Insurgent by Veronica Roth-Completed 7/26/13
15 point everyone but me: The Book Thief by Markus Zusak
15 point banned/challenged: The Perks of Being a Wallflower by Stephen Chbosky (on the 2009 list)- Completed 7/2/13
20 point celebrity: Seriously...I'm Kidding by Ellen DeGeneres- Completed 7/6/13
20 point nonfiction: Pandora's Lunchbox: How Processed Food Took Over the American Diet by Melanie Warner
20 point unvisited state: The Devil Wears Prada by Lauren Weisberger- Completed 7/20/13
25 point greater than 400 pages: And the Mountains Echoed by Khaled Hosseini- Completed 7/13/13
25 point Megan character: Megan's Mate by Nora Roberts
30 point 1988 author: Divergent by Veronica Roth-Completed 7/21/13 

So far, I have 125 out of 200 points.

I hope you'll come back tomorrow as I review all of these books. You can follow me on Goodreads to keep up with what I'm reading.

Have you read any of these books? Have you ever done or are currently doing any book challenges?

No comments: