Blogging tips

Monday, August 19, 2013

Sharing...like we learned to do in kindergarten

Today, I'd like to explore the questions is sponsorship effective and is it the best way?

A few months ago, I posted my thoughts on why I was no longer taking paid sponsorship. With the recent changes in Passionfruit, sponsorship is once again on my mind. When I'm on my first break from school, I'm pretty sure I'm switching over to Adproval for managing my swaps.

Today, though, I want us to think back to something we should have learned in kindergarten (or earlier if you went to preschool, had siblings, or spent time around other children).

Look at this fresh faced kindergartener ready to learn. (It's me!)

Isn't the whole point of blogging to share your ideas? How great do you feel when someone you're not paying shares one of your posts? How much more genuine is it when someone shares your post because the WANT to?

Why can't we do this more?

When you take sponsors, you feel like your sponsors have paid for that service so you reserve sharing posts for them. At least that's how I felt when I took paid sponsors.

I've read when other people write about sponsorship or comment on posts about sponsorship, they see it as effective because they are "clickers" who scroll along people's sidebars and click on buttons and find new blogs to follow. I'm not one of those people. I rarely click on someone's button from a sidebar. Usually the only way I do this is if the name or picture catches my attention. So, while some find new blogs by clicking, not everyone does that.


I'm much more likely to look into a blog if another blogger shares a post they enjoyed on social media or if a blogger references another blogger's post in one of their own posts. While some bloggers may be sidebar clickers, I'm an in post link clicker. I like to see what people are talking about.

Of course, this has it's own set of cons. This way can easily lend itself to cliquishness. But of course, there's not going to be a perfect solution that works for everyone.

Don't think I'm totally against paid sponsorship, though. I understand that some people's intention with blogging is to make money and if you can do that-great. I also know that when you're first starting out, it can help you get your name out there. Also, if it's been effective for you and you can afford it-go for it.

For me, personally, sponsoring other blogs has not been the most effective way to gain followers. Plus, I just don't have the extra money for it. The most effective way for me has been participating in a link up giveaway. While this may be effective for gaining followers, it's not the most effective way to gain readers.

Instead of paying for sponsorships and participating in giveaways, I started focusing on the quality of my posts. I try to leave thoughtful comments on posts that I read. I share posts I enjoy or think others need to read. I've begun focusing on making my posts pinworthy by taking good pictures and editing them. (Pinterest has actually become my #1 traffic source.) I've started looking for linky parties to participate in and I've started trying to link up my posts whenever possible. I've tried to implement tips I've found on effectively using Facebook, Twitter, and Google+.

I haven't gained the droves of followers you can gain by doing giveaways, but I've gained way more than I gained when I was sponsoring other blogs. Almost daily, I get an email saying I have a new Bloglovin', Pinterest, or Twitter follower. My GFC number has also increased steadily. My hope is these people are following me because they enjoy what I have to say, not because I'm constantly offering them a chance to win something. Giveaways aren't bad, but...I've already shared my thoughts on those.

 In the spirit of sharing, Helene from Helene in Between shared a post about sponsorship on the same day that I started this post. Her opinion differs from mine, but I completely agree with what she said about product posts. Each person can only base their opinion on their own experiences. So for some of you, paid sponsorship may have worked great. For others, it hasn't. Either way I think focusing on the content of your posts is very important. I also wish we would all share a little more. Let's help each other out. It doesn't matter how big or small your blog is. We all are going to "know" people that the other doesn't. If you like a post, show your appreciation by giving them exposure to new potential readers.

What is your opinion on sponsorship? What has been most effective for you?

5 comments:

said...

I used to be a sidebar clicker but I already follow so many blogs that I don't much anymore. I agree with you about sharing posts you like regardless - spread the love and inspiration, right?! :)

Helene in Between said...

hey girl! great post, i think it's a personal preference and different for everyone! i love your outlook on it!

Cody Doll said...

I am so like you when it comes to this. I don't like giveaways because I gain followers but not readers. I would much have readers. I also don't like paid sponsorship. I feel trapped and I also don't know how many people really click on sidebars. However, if I see someone sharing a link from somewhere that looks good, I will click on.

I have researching my butt off on creating better content, better SEO and just about anything else. I am hoping to create a series about it.

Kera @ Nugget On A Budget said...

I go back and forth on how I feel about offering paid sponsorship. I go through periods when no one is even applying for swaps, and then periods when I have people wanting to pay for ads. Having ad sales helps sometimes. I hardly make anything from paid sponsorship, but since I'm really into my blog right now, I'm keeping it open. I also find that being connected to more successful blogs helps turn people towards my blog. That's not always easy, though!

I like your thoughts on the topic though Megan :)

Being Reese 2 said...

I'm a sidebar clicker all the way. In fact, I'm almost certain that's how I stumbled upon your blog. Believe it or not, I enjoy reading posts from newer bloggers just starting out. It's refreshing. The one's that have the huge followings tend to get a bit cliqueish.

I occasionally sell ad space, but I did have to find my own way to make it work. For instance I bookmark my sponsors new posts, which typically creates a nice flow of tracffic to their site. I also tweet when they have a great post that they want to share. Effective sponsorship is all about lots of creativity and communication.

It's funny, I paid about $25 to sponsor a well known blogger with about 7, 000 followers and didn't get one new follower and only got about 10 extra page views per day. It truly isn't about the number of followers. It's all about creativity.