Blogging tips

Monday, March 3, 2014

Decluttering

Hello friends!

I have missed blogging. Although taking an unexpected break was very freeing. My life was just too busy and blogging was adding unneeded stress. Then, I reminded myself-this is not a job! You are not required to post! So, I didn't. I've still been reading blogs and commenting and I try to get on my social media a little bit. I have plenty of ideas of things I want to post about. However, I want to improve my blog by blogging quality over quantity; and lately I haven't had the time or energy for that.


So over the last few months, I've been trying to declutter my life. One way I've done that is by cleaning out my "friends" list on Facebook. I unfriended a lot of people even if they're people I know. I'm trying to get my "friends" down to people I'm truly friends with or that are my family. I no longer want to share my life with everyone I've ever met. I don't remember exactly, but I think I had close to 500 friends originally. I now have cut my list down to less than 250. My goal is to get under 200.

I am also currently in the process of unfollowing a lot of blogs. No offense if you're one of them. I followed too many blogs in the beginning for giveaways or because it appeared that they wrote about things I would be interested in. I unfollowed blogs that are not longer active or that don't write about things I'm interested in reading. I also unfollowed blogs that I don't feel a connection to the writer. It doesn't mean that I think their blog is "bad." It's just that there's no point in me following a blog that I don't actually read. It's also helping me get to the point I want to be at with my blogging. I want to get back to blogging for enjoyment. So, that means following blogs I enjoy reading not blogs I feel obligated to follow.

In the next few months, I also want to clean out my Twitter, Bloglovin', and Pinterest accounts.

I don't like clutter and disorganization in my home or personal life, so it makes perfect sense that I wouldn't want it in my online life either. 

 How do you determine if a blog is one you want to follow?

3 comments:

Lauren {at} Life.Love.Lauren said...

I don't follow a lot of blogs because to me it is therapeutic to read blogs. I may not post a comment on them all, but I read very close to all the posts of bloggers I follow and therefore, it would be impossible to follow tons of people! I always see high quality posts out of you so try not to let it stress you out, enjoy it, and keep up the great posts! :-)

Rachel said...

I think it's a very good idea to not follow if you're not reading a blog--after all, while some people seem to think it matters, "Follows" do not matter when no one is actually reading! And now that I think about it, maybe having too many friends on facebook does make it overwhelming. I have 155 right now, I've always been rather selective about who I actually want to connect with on Facebook...and it probably about time I go through and take a serious look at my "friends" page.

Cody Doll said...

As you can tell me and you are on the same wavelength. I needed a blogging break. And I am still reminding myself to step away.

As for following blogs, what I did was if that person's first three or four post wasn't something I wanted to read then they probably don't have much that I do want to read. Also to help read my favorites, I got them sent to my email since I check that at least once a day. And if I don't check it, it's there waiting.

As for social media, I have no clue. I don't use anything but pinterest and instagram so I follow who I want there and the rest I don't care. At least it keeps me from going crazy and trying to clean out every so often.

Good luck and enjoy life!