Blogging tips

Monday, September 17, 2012

Holes Activities #2 & FREEBIE


Covered in Grace



A couple of weeks ago, I wrote about the activities I'd been using in my class with the book Holes by Louis Sachar. To read that post, you can click here.

My students loved the book and they loved the activities we did along with it.

Before we began reading the book, I created a choice board activity that the students could complete after we finished reading. It has 9 activities and the students have to choose 3. The top row has character related activities. The middle row has plot related activities. The bottom row has setting related activities. The students had to pick one activity from each row.

I love to share, so I'm attaching the document I created. You can find it here.

One of the activities was to create a diorama of either Camp Green Lake where Stanley had to "serve time" or Green Lake, Texas where Katherine Barlow was a teacher. The students loved creating these dioramas. I wish we'd had more time and I had more money to have spent on supplies. Despite all that, I think they did a great job.

Before you see their visions of Camp Green Lake, here's an excerpt from the book that describes it:
"There is no lake at Camp Green Lake. There once was a very large lake here, the largest lake in Texas. That was over a hundred years ago. Now it is just a dry, flat wasteland......
The only trees are two old oaks on the eastern edge of the "lake." A hammock is stretched between the two trees, and a log cabin stands behind that."
Camp Green Lake is a juvenile corrections center where young boys are sent to dig holes in order to "build character."

Here are some examples of Camp Green Lake:





Green Lake, Texas is the town that was in the spot of Camp Green Lake a hundred years ago. Here's an excerpt from the book to describe it:
"One hundred and ten years ago, Green Lake was the largest lake in Texas. It was full of clear cool water, and it sparkled like a giant emerald in the sun. It was especially beautiful in the spring, when the peach trees, which lined the shore, bloomed with pink and rose-colored blossoms.....It was said that Green Lake was "heaven on earth"...."

Here are some examples of Green Lake, Texas:
 
 
 




1 comment:

Maegan said...

That looks like fun! I love fun class activities like that, can't wait for my son to have fun / hands on teachers like you.