My blogging journey began about 2 and a half years ago. I was a few months away from getting married and moving away. I wanted to keep my family and friends updated on our lives. So, I started a blog. I would blog 1-3 times in a month. I posted my blog posts on my Facebook for people I knew to see. This worked for me for 2 years.
Then, earlier this year in March, I decided I wanted to do more. I was consistently reading my Bible and praying. I was listening to sermons on my ipod and reading nonfiction, Christian books. I felt like my relationship with God was growing. I felt like He was leading me to expand my blog beyond my friends and family. I felt a desire to use my blog as a way to share my faith as well as a way to help others. I not only had this desire, I was bursting at the seams to share my passions with others.
Things started off well. I posted about other things from my life, but most of my posts revolved around my faith. It was also easy to post about my faith when I went on a mission trip this summer or when my husband was not doing well with his stomach issues.
However, recently I feel like I have drifted away from my original intent and purpose for my blog. I have become a little obsessed with trying to get new followers and write things people will read. I want to participate in all the link ups and blog hops. I want to comment on other people's blogs who participate in the link ups and blog hops. I want to read and comment on the growing number of blogs I'm following. I want to respond when people comment on my blog. Now, I know that many of these things aren't bad, but I feel like I'm often doing them for the wrong reasons.
I know that the main reason God isn't flowing out of me into my blog is because I'm not saturating my life with Him. I can give you many excuses for why this has happened, but none of them are worth mentioning. I also have become more interested with growing my blog than just doing what I felt called to do in the first place.
I know I'm not the only one this has happened to. I have seen many people write similar posts about how they got more caught up in the numbers than the original reasons they started blogging. They usually conclude by reminding themselves that they blog for themselves. They don't blog to please others. While to a certain extent, I do blog for myself. It is a great stress reliever and "escape" from my hectic life. I have been so blessed to connect with others. In the end, though, I need to remember that I don't blog for myself. I've been blogging for myself for a few weeks now and I feel unfulfilled and discouraged. I blog for God. He lead me to expand my blog and He needs to lead the way I use it.

8 comments:
That's awesome! I really admire your willingness to do what the Holy Spirit leads you to do. If you do what you know God has called you to do, you can be assured that He will bless it!
Have a great evening!
Susan
For sure. It's so hard to keep perspective...but I love your blog and think you're doing a great job!
Thanks for sharing your heart! Such a great reminder to seek him first in all we do!
Awesome! I've definitely been there. It was one of your God focused posts that inspired me to become a follower. Keep it up!
I found you on the GFC Hop and wanted to let you know I'm your newest follower! I'd love if you could stop by my blog and check it out. I'm having a link up today that's really special and close to my heart. It would be awesome if you could participate! Hope you're having a fantastic day!
Katlyn
www.thedreamymeadow.com
Hi Lovely, I'm your new follower from Blog Hop.
Love your awesome blog. Feel free to check out & follow my blog @ revampspunkyrena.blogspot.com
xoxo
Rena
Hay gal! Happy New Follower from the Monday Meet-Up!
Tif
Ramblings of a Southern Belle
http://www.rambling-southern-belle.com
What a great post, Megan. You already know I adore your blog, and it has certainly been encouraging to me.
Post a Comment