Blogging tips

Thursday, January 10, 2013

13 in '13: {New Testament}

I've added a new page to the top of my blog where you can find my goals for the year 2013. 

Throughout the month of January, I will be looking at each goal specifically. I will let you know why I want to accomplish this goal and how I plan to do it. 

I will also be updating throughout the year on how I'm doing.

Goal 3: Read through the rest of the New Testament

For a lot of Christians, a common goal is to read through the entire Bible. I think an important part of your faith is knowing what it's based on. I have read a lot of the Bible, but I've never read all of it.

So, this year I want to begin to work towards that by reading the rest of the New Testament.

I think that different people have different learning styles when it comes to Biblical teaching. It's why some people like certain pastor's styles over others or certain Bible studies more than others. I like my Bible teaching to be done in context. I prefer a Bible study that's about a particular book or person from the Bible than a certain subject. I also prefer my Bible teaching to be done within a historical context. I love history and I think you can better understand the Bible if you understand the things that were going on during that time. 
 
Last year, I stopped trying to find books or devotions to lead my Bible reading and I just started reading through different books of the Bible. This has been most effective for me. 
 
I have already read through the New Testament books of Matthew, Romans, Galatians, Ephesians, Philippians, Colossians, James, and 1 John. 

That leaves me with 19 books in the New Testament left to read. 

If you read the Bible, what's the most effective way for you to have your daily time in the Word? Do you have a Bible reading goal for the year?

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I've been reading online at BibleGateway.com. It's much easier for me because the online format makes them look less daunting, and you can use their drop-down menu to switch to whatever version you prefer. I've read fourteen books in less than a month.

Logan Cantrell said...

I love Beth Moore studies, but I also love learning through a historical context like you mentioned above. We are so blessed at my church with amazing bible class teachers that have studied biblical history, greek, hebrew etc. and so I have learned a lot through them. I would like to find a historical based devotional book this year. If you hear of one, please let me know.

-Logan

Unknown said...

I'm using a little booklet as a guide. It's called Reading through the Bible in a Year.

You read one chapter a day from three different books of the bible.

I just started so today I will read Genesis 10, Matthew 10, and Ezra 10.

I really like this method, because I get bogged down just reading straight through one book at a time.

Especially books like Leviticus for example. lol

mail4rosey said...

I've done it in various ways over the years, but now like you, I just read it. :)