Blogging tips

Wednesday, February 27, 2013

Moving is NOT for Wimps

Hey y'all!

Can I please just tell you how excited I am to be guest posting on Megan's blog. It's one of my faves! She is such a sweetheart. We are both from the south and are the same age and have lots more in common. And she has been so great to me. I was supposed to have my post ready last Monday, but due to our big move (that you'll read a little about in a sec) she so graciously gave me one more week to get my act together. Thanks, lady! 

So, here's that one time we moved... with a 6 month old's help.

So, my Mr. and I closed on our very first house last Friday. 



As you can probably guess, it's been a whirlwind of moving, painting, organizing, packing, unpacking, and about a million other things. Since I'm such an experienced (uh, not!) homeowner, I thought I might share some of the very new tips I've picked up.

First off, make sure that you are going through this process with someone who makes you laugh. Because if you move with someone who drives you nuts, well, may the force be with you. 

DO make sure have bandaids... Because you never know when your hubby will accidentally stick his finger with a screwdriver when an accident might occur. And yes, he does have a kid bandaid on. That's how we roll.





DON'T forget to pack bowls to go along with your cereal for your first morning at your new place...or your breakfast might look a little something like this... Whoops.


DO pack clothes appropriate for the weather. Apparently I forgot that Georgia does, in fact, get cold from time to time and I had no winter clothes to keep me warm. 

DON'T spend too much time cooking meals right away... We used this recipe from my sweet friend Lori's blog and made chicken and dumplings. Yum, yum, and YUM! It's easy, tasty, and such a great meal when it's cold outside.

DO choose a couple of paint colors that make you happy. My Mr. and I had been surrounded by only white walls for far too long. We wanted to paint just a few rooms and even though it was tons of work (um, who knew you could get finger cramps from using a paint roller?), we LOVE the colors and the feel it gives to our home. Plus, my hubby does cute things like this while I'm feeding our baby and my heart melts. 




DON'T forget to take time to enjoy the chaos. I went and took a giant bubble bath in our new tub. I totally forgot how wonderful bubble baths are. Speaking of which, I kind of want to go jump in one now. 

DO bring a cute baby to distract from the mess. I mean, really. He's a great helper.



DON'T paint with your mouth open... You see, sometimes when I concentrate really hard on something, my mouth is slightly open. Leave it to me to somehow get a drop of paint to make its way straight to it. Ew. And. Ew. Trust me on this one.

DO swing by my blog and visit me if you want to read more about the happenings (and mishappenings) of homeownership that are bound to come with our new house. Or if you want to read some ridiculously mushy posts to my baby boy. Or if you just want to laugh at the craziness that is The Bachelor, then come on over and visit me! I'd love to see you there! 

Sending lots of love, 
Maggie

2 comments:

Karen said...

Your baby is so cute!! Love your new house. We are moving next week--with a 2 year old and 4 year old. UGH...

Mary Smith said...

Yeah! Congrats on the move! We are moving next month but it will be tricky. We're moving into the house next door. It will definitely be easier than our cross-country move 4 years ago!