Blogging tips

Monday, August 5, 2013

All Girls Allowed

I follow an adoption blog called Give 1 Save 1 Asia and the other day they shared a post about an organization called All Girls Allowed.


I began to do some research on this organization and the facts I read broke my heart. Of course, I knew about China's one child policy, but I didn't know it was to this extreme. Women are not seen as valuable. So not only are they only allowed to have one child, but they also want that child to be a boy.

Here are some of the shocking facts:
-The One-Child Policy went into effect in 1980. Since then, 37 million girls have disappeared and 336 million forced abortions have been performed. This is more than all the people killed in all the major past genocides of the past century combined.
-Chinese women must apply for a birth permit in order to start a pregnancy. 
-Suicide is the #1 cause of death of young women in China.
-It is estimated that by 2020 (that's ONLY 7 and a half years away), there will be 40 million more men than women in China. That's the same amount of men under 20 currently in the United States.
-If a family does choose to keep an illegal child, that child will not have the correct documentation papers. Without these paper, they can't go to school, get married, or even ride public transportation.

These facts and more can be found on the All Girls Allowed website.

Reading these facts reminded me of a book series I recently read called The Shadow Children. This series is about a place where it's illegal to have more than 2 children. Yet, there's a large number of people who are hiding their additional children illegally. These children's lives are not valued and the series is about them fighting for their freedom. In this society, every person has an ID card. If you don't have an ID card, you don't have any rights. There were a lot of similarities to this book and China's policies.

This organization is fighting against this.  They hope to expose the injustice of this policy, rescue girls and mothers in crisis, and celebrate the value of all people-including females.

I want to help by spreading the word. I encourage you to check out their website, like their Facebook page, and follow them on Twitter.

If you can do nothing else, would you at least be willing to share this post to help spread the word about this injustice that is taking place in our world today?


3 comments:

Kera @ Nugget On A Budget said...

I actually didn't even know that China's one child policy was still going on! Those statistics you shared are so sad. I can't imagine being forced to live like that. As you know I have a daughter with another baby girl arriving soon. To think that I probably wouldn't of been able to have either of them makes me sad. Thanks for helping to get this information out there.

said...

So very sad. :( especially when girls are way better than boys on every level...
Enough jokes though, sharing this post!

Cody Doll said...

I thought that the policy was outlawed but because it was so dramatic that people still believe in it. That is some very sad news.