Blogging tips

Tuesday, August 20, 2013

My 10 Least Favorite Movies Based on Books


Two weeks ago, I shared the reasons I believe books are better than movies. Last week, I shared my 10 favorite movies based on books. So, this week I'll be sharing 10 movies based on books that I didn't like too much.

Some of these are very popular movies and you will probably disagree. Please note, this doesn't mean I don't like these movies. There were just certain elements of them that I hated because I loved those parts of the book so much. I think part of the reason I don't like these movies that much is because I really enjoyed the books and had such high expectations.


*Note: I only included movies that I have actually read the book for also.*


1. Dear John- This book is my favorite Nicholas Sparks' book. I LOVE the ending. It doesn't have the "happily ever after ending" and I love that because that's not realisitic. The ending was beautiful and showed sacrificing your wants for the one you love. The movie RUINED that for me! In my opinion, they did a terrible job with this movie.

2. The Time Traveler's Wife- I really enjoyed this book. Again, the ending was beautiful. I was sobbing like a baby as I read it. The movie stunk (in my opinion). I don't think they did the book justice at all and as usual, they ruined the ending.

3. My Sister's Keeper- Jodi Picoult, the author of the book, does a wonderful job writing books that make you stop and think. This book is no exception. The book focuses on the younger sister and all that she's been through being a ready made donor for her sister with cancer. The ending was a complete shock. The movie, on the other hand, focused on the older sister who had cancer and tried to make this sappy, let's all have a good cry movie where the sister with cancer dies in the end as you would expect. I truly did hate this movie.

4. Twilight- Don't kill me if you're a twi-hard fan. I actually did enjoy the books the first time I read them. Then, people started obsessing over them and saying they were better than Harry Potter and that just didn't sit well with me. I actually enjoy the movies overall. Besides the fact that they're super cheesy and fun to make fun of. I haven't seen the last movie either. I also think Kristen Stewart is a terrible actress. Sorry.

5. The Hunger Games- Again, hear me out on this one. I don't hate this movie. I just don't think it does the book justice. I think that if you haven't read the book, you don't completely understand what's going on. It kind of seems like a movie about children killing each other. I think for this particular book, the themes are hard to translate to film. I have hope that the next two will be better.

6. The DaVinci Code- This isn't a terrible movie. I just think there's SO much that goes on in this story. It kind of makes the film seem very busy. Plus part of the appeal of the book is the suspense and shocking revelations. It takes away some of the fun of the movie when you've already read the book.

7. Water for Elephants- This is such a great book and I think was a good choice to make into a movie. It's very visual. Even though the movie is on this list, I didn't think it was bad. I just didn't love it either. I saw it once and would be fine if I don't ever see it again. Robert Pattinson wasn't the best choice for the lead either.

8. The Cat in the Hat- This book is a children's classic. The movie is terrible. I'm not even sure if I've seen the whole thing, but I've seen enough. It has too much adult content to be a kids' movie.

9. The Cider House Rules- I read this book a few years ago so that I could then watch the movie. The book isn't one of my favorites, but I had good expectations for the movie. However, when I watched it I was very disappointed. I found the movie to be very boring. I don't remember much else about it.

10. The Lucky One- The movie wasn't terrible, but I think it could have been better. The casting also REALLY bothered me. Technically, Taylor Schilling is only 3 years older than Zac Efron, but she looks a lot older than him. I didn't like that.

*There are other movies based on books that I don't like, but I didn't really like the book either. So, it was kind of to be expected.*

What are some of your least favorite movies based on books? What do you think of the movies from my list? Do you agree or disagree? 

  Top Ten Tuesday at Many Little Blessings





9 comments:

S said...

I haven't read the books to all of these, but the ones I have I completely agree with you on. In fact I don't think I've ever liked any film thats been made from a book and am one of these annoying people who sit the whole way through the film like 'noo, thats wrong, thats wrong' lol x
www.beautiful-solutions.co.uk

Miranda said...

I agree with you on a lot of these! Most of the movies that come from Nicholas Sparks books are just completely disappointing...especially Dear John. I was so mad!

The Twilight movies were so awful they even ruined the love that I had for the books a bit.

I liked The Hunger Games for the most part, but I do feel that there was a lot of important messages missing. I'm hoping to see an improvement with Catching Fire.

But...I do like Water for Elephants. Of course, the book is much better, one of my favorites ever.

Loving these posts! :)

Julie said...

I always do the book before the movie because the movie always cuts out big parts. I will attest that all of Nicholas Sparks books and movies are always missing something to make you go "huh?" and since he's a favorite of mine, if I don't read the book first I won't read it after the movie. There's really no point.

Unknown said...

"The Cider House Rules" is on my top 10 least liked book-to-movie list as well. I read it before my senior year in high school (wow, right?) and it was so incredible and powerful and I fell in love with John Irving's writing. Then, I watched the movie, and I was horrified at how much had changed. Honestly, I don't know how the movie producers could fit everything that happened into the novel in a 2 hour movie, but I felt they took out some huge, pertinent to the plot parts and characters. I was a very upset teenager (and still hold a grudge, obviously)!

Ashley said...

I loved the movie Water for Elephants!! I haven't read the book, though, so I can't compare it. I also really liked Hunger Games the movie. The first time I saw it, there were a few things that bothered me about it...because I had just read the books, but now that I've forgotten all the details, I really enjoy it.

Totally, totally agree about Dear John. The entire movie was horrible to me...and definitely agree about the ending being all kinds of weird in the movie!

Brianna Tucker said...

I agree 100% with my sisters keeper. I am a huge Picolt fan and it just didn't keep me engaged like the book did. Hunger games was good but my husband watched the movie and hadn't read the book and there were many times where he stated the movie didn't make sense.

Annie - XOAnnie.com, etc. said...

What a cool list! You're right on the Nicholas Sparks works--movie execs always end up changing a big part of his story lines to perhaps make them more appealing to a broader audience. But then the end result doesn't compare to the book at all! Unlike you, however, I *hated* the ending to "Dear John." Ugh I wanted the cute ending I felt I had been promised all along :)!

I also very much disliked The Hunger Games movie (made the book seem SOO boring!) and I'm def not going to see Catching Fire or the 3rd one on theater.

Anyways, good job w/these lists as always, Megan!

Logan Cantrell said...

I completely agree with all of these. I have a hard time finding movies that DO the book justice. I feel like I'm always disappointed. I haven't ever read The DaVinci Code but my husband claims the book is way better than the movie.

-Logan
www.southernsunflowersandcoffeebeans.com

Sam said...

I had been looking for a movie based book and found out an interesting one online.