Blogging tips

Thursday, August 8, 2013

State Love Canvas DIY Project

How to make your own chevron striped canvas featuring your favorite state with a heart over a special city.

It's been a long time since I've done a craft project. So, this past weekend I decided to do one.

I've seen these ideas floating around on Pinterest with a small heart inside the outline of a state. So, I decided to make a state design of my own.

My inspiration: 

      via Gimme Some Style Blog      via The Domestic Diva's Diary       via Preppy in Pink USA

 My Project:

1. Find and print an outline (or outlines) of the state of your choice. Then, cut them out. 

2. Trace the outline onto your canvas.


 3. I used this tutorial on making chevron stripes on canvas. 


4.  Paint the untaped sections your color of choice. This step takes a long time waiting on paint to dry. It also took several coats of paint to cover the pencil marks.

5. After waiting on the paint to dry one final time, you can remove the tape. Then paint the canvas strip your second color. I chose white. During this step, you will have to do some touching up of both colors with a small brush.
 
6. Draw a small heart over your city of choice.
*Sorry, I forgot to take a picture of the heart before I painted it. I recommend drawing the heart before you paint.*

7. Paint the state and the heart.

8. Find a great place to display your fun, new art piece.

Linking up: Inspiration in Progress 
                   Pinteresting Party
                   Link Party Palooza 
                   Pin It Party 
                   Manic Monday 
                   Craft-O-Maniac
                   Craftastic Monday Link Party

13 comments:

Megan @ EphesiansWife said...

Oh my goodness-adorable! I recently painted chevron stripes and was about ready to pull my hair out halfway through...so I have a ton of respect for how much work this was!

Ana Love Craft said...

Super cute project! Love this idea!
Thanks for sharing great tutorial! Enjoy your day!
Hugs from Portugal,

Ana Love Craft
www.lovecraft2012.blogspot.com

said...

Those turned out so cute!!

Ginny Williams said...

OMG Megan! I want to do that this weekend! It looks SO FUN!!! AND EASY!! AND PRETTY! I love the chevron and all teh colors you chose! how precious!

I will definitely link my post back to you when I do it! Thanks thanks thanks!

Ginny
www.buttergirldiaries.com

Jodi Price said...

Very cute! My friend made me a mug similar to the one in your inspirations when we graduated college!

xo
Jodi
youngcatladyblog.blogspot.com

Megan|BishopPlaceHandmade said...

Uhm hello. Gorgeous!!!

Cody Doll said...

That's adorable. I am thinking of doing the same thing only no strips. haha.

Caravan Sonnet said...

This is so cute Megan!! I am excited to have just discovered your blog through Megan's post today! I am delighted to be your newest follower and can't wait to get to know you more!
:) Rebecca
www.caravansonnet.com

Team Harries said...

how cute are these1

Anonymous said...

It's so funny that you chose Alabama and Florida, because those are the only two states I've ever lived in. I'd love for you to link up to my party, Manic Monday. Starts tonight at 8pm EST.

Renea - http://cupcake-n-bake.blogspot.com

Kimberly H said...

So cute! I love this project!

Crystal from My Ramblings said...

Super cute!

Being Reese 2 said...

Those are too cute. I may have to do one for NC this weekend :)