I announced earlier this week that I will be a Compassion blogger this month. I am very excited about this opportunity to use my blog for a cause that I'm passionate about.
Compassion is an organization which allows you to sponsor a child who is living in poverty. Most of us would have no problem going out and spending $38 on dinner and a movie, a new purse, or a new pair of shoes. Actually, most of us wouldn't have a problem spending more than that on something we really want. What if you gave up something once a month and instead gave that money to a child in need?
About 2 and a half years ago, Alan came into our lives.
When we first started sponsoring him, he wasn't able to write yet. We had to learn about him through letters from his mother. Now, he can write to us himself. He tells us about his dreams to meet us one day and to become a preacher. He touches my heart when he sends us drawings. A couple of months ago, he sent us a picture of himself and his sister. We have it hanging on our refrigerator right next to pictures of our family and friends. Even though we've never met him, Alan is a part of our family.
Earlier this year, Malaiyarasi joined our family as well.
She is able to write to us in English. She calls us her aunt and uncle. We're still getting to know her.
I wish I could describe to you the joy I feel when I receive a letter from one of these precious children. Instead of trying to describe it to you, I'd love for you to feel it for yourself.
You can sponsor your own child and know that you are having a positive impact in a child's life. I encourage you to head over to Compassion's sponsor page and browse through the beautiful faces of all the children. Which one feels right to you? Will you make a decision to have a lasting effect in the life of a child? Are you willing to give up one thing each month to help one of these children? With your help, there can be one less child in the world doing without some of their basic needs.
Speak up for those who cannot speak for themselves,
for the rights of all who are destitute.
for the rights of all who are destitute.
Speak up and judge fairly;
defend the rights of the poor and needy.
defend the rights of the poor and needy.
Proverbs 31:8-9

3 comments:
Wow, this is such an amazing thing to do! And that's so great that Alan has learned to write and already knows what he wants to be when he grows up! Inspiring post! Thanks for sharing :)
Best,
Sapir
coffeebooksandairplanes.blogspot.com
I've actually done this before when I was in HS I think and it was wonderful.
You are always so kind, Megan..and I love that about you!
Beautiful, just beautiful the living that you are doing and the difference that it makes.
Aloha,
I late... late... late... but I'm following ya now from the GFC hop. We're riding the wave of life at localsugarhawaii.com and I'd love it if you'd join us for the adventure. AND this month we're launching our little online store in great big huge ways-- read as "giveaways galore". I'd love to have ya celebrate with us.
xo,
Nicole
localsugarhawaii.com
Post a Comment