Blogging tips

Sunday, October 7, 2012

Why Adoption?

Up until this year, I'd never really given adoption a lot of thought.

Sure, I knew people who had adopted and I knew some people who were adopted. 

I had always thought that if I was unable to have children, I would want to adopt.

Then, I found a blog post through Pinterest. 

Reading one blog about adoption led to another and then another.

Soon, I had spent a couple of hours reading people's adoption stories and weeping over these precious children.

I knew right then and there that I wanted to do something to help these families.

That's part of the reason I expanded my blog beyond just being for my friends and family.

Now, I've finally put together a way to help these families:
Ornaments for Adoption

Just a Small Town Girl

Ornaments for Adoption cannot be successful without your help, though. 

If you're like my family, I guarantee that you will buy a new ornaments or two this Christmas. Why not buy them for a good cause?

You probably often spend $10 on a couple of morning's coffee, a meal at a restaurant, or a new toy for your child. Why not spend $10 to help a family add a child to their family through adoption?

{Ornaments also make a great gift}

Each ornament is $6 plus $4 shipping and handling. If you'd like to order more than one ornament, you can email me {ornamentsforadoption@gmail.com} for a new shipping price. Please visit my Ornaments for Adoption page for more ordering information and pictures of ornaments.

Another reason that adoption is near and dear to my heart is because I'd like to adopt one day.

I don't really know when I made this decision.

I just remember one day a few months ago Lee and I were driving somewhere and we were talking and I just said it: "I want to adopt."

I even kind of surprised myself.

So, I went from being someone who would adopt if I was unable to have children to someone who wants to adopt regardless. It's kind of scary to think about. 

One last thing I want to explain is the verse on my button.
1 John 3:17 says "If anyone has material possessions and sees his brother in need but has no pity on him, how can the love of God be in him?"

This has quickly become one of my favorite verses. It really challenged me to help those I see who are in need. I can't simply claim to be a Christian with my words and not back it up with my actions.

Matthew 6:21 also tells us "For where your treasure is, there your heart will be also." I believe one of the greatest ways to check the status of our hearts is to see what we're spending our money on. Are you spending your money on frivolous things? Are you storing up for yourself treasures on Earth that won't last? Are you collecting a lot of material possessions? Or are you spending your money to help others and make an eternal impact?



Covered in Grace






4 comments:

meandmr.com said...

I love this post, I too have thought about adopting. Thanks for sharing!
-meandmr.com

Ashley said...

I'm going to look at ordering information during the boys' naps today!

Kim S said...

I love this! Being adopted, I love helping out other families however I can. Going off to check that out :)

Unknown said...

Great way to help! We have adopted three times. We have many friends that benefit from the generosity of others in helping fund their adoptions. Stopping by from SSS. Glad I came by. If you ever have any questions about adoption, feel free to ask. http://canigetanotherbottleofwhine.blogspot.com/