My goal for 2013 is to read 40 books with 10 of those being nonfiction and 5 of those being classics. This month I read 4 books. They were all fiction books. I am currently reading Quiet: The Power of Introverts in a World That Can't Stop Talking. This is a nonfiction book, but it's taking me a while to get through. I'm going to focus more on nonfiction in February.
Book Description: When Barry Fairbrother dies unexpectedly in his early forties, the little town of Pagford is left in shock. Pagford is, seemingly, an English idyll, with a cobbled market square and an ancient abbey, but what lies behind the pretty façade is a town at war. Rich at war with poor, teenagers at war with their parents, wives at war with their husbands, teachers at war with their pupils…. Pagford is not what it first seems. And the empty seat left by Barry on the town’s council soon becomes the catalyst for the biggest war the town has yet seen. Who will triumph in an election fraught with passion, duplicity and unexpected revelations? Blackly comic, thought-provoking and constantly surprising, The Casual Vacancy is J.K. Rowling’s first novel for adults.
image and description via Amazon
My Review:
I'm afraid J.K. Rowling will never be able to get away from being the author of Harry Potter. Not that I think she wants to, but people will always compare anything she does to that series. I admit, I wanted to read this book because J.K. Rowling wrote it, but I didn't go in expecting HP. Overall, I was not disappointed once I finished. It took me a little while to get into. I think the reason was because there were so many characters to be introduced to. Once I got past that, I had a hard time putting it down. I enjoy stories where the characters are all inter-connected and have their secrets. A lot of reviews I've seen have complained that there wasn't a lot of action to the plot. I agree that there isn't but I like character driven plot. It fascinates me. Being from a small town, I could relate to people trying to be in each other's business. I enjoyed the parts of the storyline that revolved around the teenagers the most. There were some things I didn't like. This book was very vulgar both in language and subjects that it touched on. I also feel like the end of the book was too dramatic for my taste.
I give it 3.5 out of 5 stars.
The American Heiress by Daisy Goodwin
Book Description:Be careful what you wish for. Traveling abroad with her mother at the turn of the twentieth century to seek a titled husband, beautiful, vivacious Cora Cash, whose family mansion in Newport dwarfs the Vanderbilts’, suddenly finds herself Duchess of Wareham, married to Ivo, the most eligible bachelor in England. Nothing is quite as it seems, however: Ivo is withdrawn and secretive, and the English social scene is full of traps and betrayals. Money, Cora soon learns, cannot buy everything, as she must decide what is truly worth the price in her life and her marriage.
image and description via Amazon
My Review:
I give it 2 out of 5 stars.
The Kite Runner by Khaled Hosseini
Book Description:
The
unforgettable, heartbreaking story of the unlikely friendship between a
wealthy boy and the son of his father's servant, The Kite Runner
is a beautifully crafted novel set in a country that is in the process
of being destroyed. It is about the power of reading, the price of
betrayal, and the possibility of redemption; and an exploration of the
power of fathers over sons—their love, their sacrifices, their lies. A
sweeping story of family, love, and friendship told against the
devastating backdrop of the history of Afghanistan over the last thirty
years, The Kite Runner is an unusual and powerful novel that has become a
beloved, one-of-a-kind classic. image and description via Amazon My Review:
I really enjoyed this book. I think my favorite part was that it gave me a chance to learn more about a culture I really knew nothing about and had a lot of assumptions about. This story shows how our choices can have a big impact on our lives. It is also a beautiful story of finding redemption. I was also reminded of how our world is still full people who are being treated differently (often mistreated) because of their race or cultural heritage. There were only a few minor things I didn't like about this book. I don't feel like there's much else to say without giving away anything. I would highly recommend this book if you've never read it.
I give it 4 out of 5 stars.
The Night Circus by Erin Morganstern
Book Description:
The circus arrives without warning. No announcements precede it. It is
simply there, when yesterday it was not. Within the black-and-white
striped canvas tents is an utterly unique experience full of
breathtaking amazements. It is called Le Cirque des Rêves, and it is only open at night. But
behind the scenes, a fierce competition is underway: a duel between two
young magicians, Celia and Marco, who have been trained since childhood
expressly for this purpose by their mercurial instructors. Unbeknownst
to them both, this is a game in which only one can be left
standing. Despite the high stakes, Celia and Marco soon tumble headfirst
into love, setting off a domino effect of dangerous consequences, and
leaving the lives of everyone, from the performers to the patrons,
hanging in the balance.
image and description via Amazon
My Review:
I honestly don't know what to think of this book. It's unlike anything I've ever read before. I think the story had great potential, but I don't think it was told in the best way. This story was like a runaway train speeding through time. One chapter it's 1893. The next chapter it's 1895-1897. Then it's 1889. There were also so many characters and small details to keep track of. I felt like I needed to take notes while reading this book because something that happened 20 chapters ago would come into play, but you'd read about so many other characters and details in between that you couldn't keep it all straight. The book description makes this competition sound a lot more intense than it actually is. I also have a problem with two people being SO in love when they've barely spent any time together. I found the romance between the two younger characters (Bailey and Poppet) to seem more natural and believable than the main characters. Despite all this, I still enjoyed this book. You never knew what to expect and I honestly didn't know how it was going to end.
I give it 3.5 out of 5 stars.
The Night Circus by Erin Morganstern
Book Description:
The circus arrives without warning. No announcements precede it. It is
simply there, when yesterday it was not. Within the black-and-white
striped canvas tents is an utterly unique experience full of
breathtaking amazements. It is called Le Cirque des Rêves, and it is only open at night. But
behind the scenes, a fierce competition is underway: a duel between two
young magicians, Celia and Marco, who have been trained since childhood
expressly for this purpose by their mercurial instructors. Unbeknownst
to them both, this is a game in which only one can be left
standing. Despite the high stakes, Celia and Marco soon tumble headfirst
into love, setting off a domino effect of dangerous consequences, and
leaving the lives of everyone, from the performers to the patrons,
hanging in the balance.image and description via Amazon
My Review:
I honestly don't know what to think of this book. It's unlike anything I've ever read before. I think the story had great potential, but I don't think it was told in the best way. This story was like a runaway train speeding through time. One chapter it's 1893. The next chapter it's 1895-1897. Then it's 1889. There were also so many characters and small details to keep track of. I felt like I needed to take notes while reading this book because something that happened 20 chapters ago would come into play, but you'd read about so many other characters and details in between that you couldn't keep it all straight. The book description makes this competition sound a lot more intense than it actually is. I also have a problem with two people being SO in love when they've barely spent any time together. I found the romance between the two younger characters (Bailey and Poppet) to seem more natural and believable than the main characters. Despite all this, I still enjoyed this book. You never knew what to expect and I honestly didn't know how it was going to end.
I give it 3.5 out of 5 stars.
Have you read any of these books? What did you think?
What are you reading now?

6 comments:
I haven't read any of these... but The Kite Runner is on my list!
I just finished Alice in Zombieland... review on my blog today! ;)
Have a great day! ♥
I enjoyed The American Heiress ;( but I do agree that the characters were a bit undeveloped. I know this is terrible, but I wanted her to end up with her friend (can't remember his name at the moment). After all, her husband had an affair and her friend was truly in love with her, so that was disappointing to me.
I haven't read any of those before, but "The Night Circus" is on my to-be-read list.
I just started "The Story of Edgar Sawtelle" this morning. I'm only about 10 pages in, so I can't say anything much about it yet, but I've heard some great reviews! It's a NYT bestseller and also a part of Oprah's book club. I'm not a huge Oprah fan or anything, but her book club books never steer me wrong..
You are off to a good start reaching your goal! I wish I had more time/energy to read still. By the end of the night when I lay down I usually doze by the 3rd page :)
I wanted to invite you to stop by our weekly Meet & Greet Blog Hop! It runs Friday nights thru Monday. Come link up if you have some time this weekend :)
http://createdbylaurie.blogspot.com/2013/02/meet-greet-blog-hop-weekend-12.html
First of all, I adore my goodreads account! Such a good way to keep track of what ive read and books I see that I want to read. I have set myself 40 books to read this year too. I started at 25 last year, but ended up upping it to 35 when I read a load really close together. So I figure 40 will push me a little bit more.
I also read The Night Circus and feel pretty much the same as you about it, I loved the idea and the discriptivness used, but the story just wasnt written well enough, and got very muddled in parts.
I shall look forward to a few more of your book reviews!
Daisy Dayz Blog
Daily Craft Inspiration
i checked the casual vacancy out of the library but i heard really bad things about it from my book club and after flipping through it decided it wasn't for me. (never read harry potter.) i am about to start american heiress for my book club! (are we in the same book club??) i liked the night circus and loved the kite runner, although Khaled Hosseini's other book is even better. he has a new book coming out in may and he's going to be at a local bookstore; i am so excited to go to the signing!!
https://ilikebigbooksblog.wordpress.com/
Post a Comment